Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Penne Pasta and Chicken in Alfredo Sauce

I got the Alfredo Sauce from the Cookbook "Our Best Bites" and it is the best Alfredo sauce I have ever tasted!
Alfredo Sauce:
2 cups milk (I used 1 1/2 cups whole milk with 1/2 cup water mixed in because they originally call for low-fat milk)
1/3 cup or 3 oz of low fat cream cheese (I used regular)
2 T flour
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 T butter
3 garlic cloves (I used 2), minced
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a blender (I used my magic bullet!) blend the milk, cream cheese, flour and salt and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add garlic. Stir constantly on medium heat so the garlic doesn't burn. Add the milk mixture to the pan. Stir constantly for 3-4 minutes or until it comes to a simmer. Keep stirring and let it cook for about 6-7 min. Once the sauce has thickened remove from heat. Whisk the cheese into the sauce and cover immediately. It is important that you buy a triangle of Parmesan cheese and freshly grate it. If you use already grated parmesan, it will be lumpy. In my opinion, I think the freshly grated cheese made such a difference in the taste!! Allow the sauce to thicken for 10 minutes. I had cooked up some penne noodles before I did the sauce and I added already cooked chicken (in a can...Costco chicken is the best!!) Stirred together, noodles, sauce and chicken...let it sit the 10 minutes and you have a fabulous dinner! We had banana poppy seed muffins with our dinner and should have had a vegetable. Next time, I'll make brown sugared carrot coins to go with it!





No comments: