Thursday, January 8, 2009

Lentil Soup

Lentil Soup, Gypsy style from my cookbook Managing your Meals by Winnifred Jardine.
I love this recipe! My kids will eat it now but it is not their favorite! They are missing out!!! Hope you enjoy it.

1 cup dried lentils
5 cups water
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 cup finely diced carrots ( I just cut them up and put them in without dicing--tastes just as good)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups ham scraps or pieces
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp marjoram
Dairy sour cream (optional)
Ground nutmeg (optional)

Combine all ingredients, except sour cream and nutmeg in 3-quart kettle. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 2 hours or until lentils are very tender. Top each serving with dollop of sour cream and sprinkling of nutmeg, if desired. makes 8 servings.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I will have to get my mom to make this. It looks delicious. :-) thanks for sharing the recipe.