Thursday, October 2, 2008

Tuna Ring with Cheese Sauce

This is one of my favorite recipes. My mom taught me how to make it before I went off to college. I think she got it from Bisquick. Anyway here it is.
Tuna Ring with Cheese sauce

1 egg
2 cans tuna fish
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup fresh parsley (just a little if dried parsley)
1 tsp celery salt (any kind of salt)
1/4 tsp pepper

2 cups Bisquick (pancake mix)
1/2 cup cold water

Heat oven 375 degrees F. Beat egg slightly; set aside 2 tablespoons of egg. Stir tuna, cheese, onion, parsley, salt and pepper into remaining egg. Next, stir baking mix and water into soft dough. Knead five times on flour covered board. Roll into rectangle 15 by 10 inches. Spread tuna mixture on top. Roll up beginning at long side with sealed edge down. Shape into ring on greased baking sheet. Pinch ends together. With scissors make cuts 2/3 of way through ring at 1-inch intervals. Turn each section on its side to show fillings. Brush top with egg. Bake 25 to 20 minutes. Serve with hot cheese sauce. 4-6 servings

Cheese Sauce
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup Bisquick
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheese

Melt butter over low heat. Blend in baking mix, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheese until melted.

I usually half the cheese sauce because it makes a lot. I will put a picture on a soon as I make it. It really sounds complicated but it is not. It is so delicious!