Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Clam Chowder



I modified this recipe from my Better Homes and Garden recipe book. It is delicious on a cold day like today!

Clam Chowder

2 cans (6.5 oz) minced clams
2 slices of bacon
2 1/2 cups finely chopped, peeled potatoes (about 3 medium)
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp instant chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup half and half, or light cream
2 T all-purpose flour

1. Chop clams, reserving juice; set clams aside. Drain canned clams, reserving juice. If necessary, add water to reserved clam juices to equal 1 cup. Set juice mixture aside.

2. In a large saucepan cook bacon till crisp. Remove bacon, reserving 1 T drippings in pan. Drain bacon on paper towels. Crumble bacon and set aside.

3. Stir reserved clam juice mixture, potatoes, onion, bouillon granules, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and pepper into saucepan. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or till potatoes are tender. With the back of a fork, mash potatoes slightly against the side of the pan.

4. Stir together milk, half and half and flour; add to potato mixture. Cook and stir till slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in clams. Return to boiling; reduce heat. cook for 1-2 minutes more. Sprinkle each serving with some crumbled bacon. Makes about 7 cups or 4 main-dish servings.

So I used a can of chicken broth instead of the chicken granules and that worked too. I didn't do the bacon in the pan, I just microwaved two pieces of bacon. I also didn't reserve the clam juice, I just added the liquid, potatoes, onions and spices together and cooked it till the potatoes were tender. Next time I probably won't put as many onions in because my kids don't like them but I thought it tasted just fine! Enjoy!

No comments: