Monday, January 31, 2011

Kathy's Blue Ribbon Bread




So I got this recipe from Kathy Henrie who has won the Blue Ribbon at the Utah State Fair for many years. She would stay up all night baking and crank out delicious loaves of bread! Mine is not near as yummy but still delicious! There is nothing quite as good as homemade bread, especially when it is hot out of the oven. I love it when you cut a slice, butter it and the butter melts. Yum! Today I made it with all white flour but you can make it with wheat or both.

5 cups Water divided, 1 1/2 and 3 1/2
1/2 cups Sugar or Honey
1 T salt
1 cube butter (1/2 cup)
2 T yeast
(4 eggs, fork beaten, optional)
1/2 cup Warm Water
(1/2 cup Wheat Gluten, optional)
11-14 cups Flour (white or Wheat or a combination)

In this batch I used eggs, no wheat gluten and I used 13 cups of flour.

Combine the 1/2 cup of warm water and yeast---set aside.
In sauce pan combine about 1 1/2 cups of water, sugar, and salt--heat to a boil. Add butter and turn heat to low. When butter is melted, add the rest of the water. Heat for 1-2 minutes (if using eggs, beat them in a 2 cup container. Add some of the hot water while stirring, about 1 1/4 cups water)
Pour the hot water mix into the mixing bowl and add 5 cups of the flour. Mix to a smooth batter. (with Kitchen Aid use paddle...I have a Bosch mixer and I used the dough hook.) Gradually add the egg mixture if using eggs.
Add and mix in the Yeast mixture. Add 5 more cups of flour, with the gluten mixed in it. Mix to blend in the flour. Add more flour one cup at a time till you have a smooth nonsticky dough and it cleans the sides of the bowl, about 3-6 minutes. When done mixing, remove dough hook and cover bowl with damp towel and let rise till double. (I actually moved my dough out of my mixer into a bigger bowl and let it rise there.)

On oiled countertop, divide and shape into loaves. let rise till just over 1" above pan. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Candace said...

Yay! A new bread recipe. I've been looking for a good one. I love my mother-in-laws homemade bread, but it's one of those "oh, just add flour until it's the right consistency" recipes, and I am NEVER happy with the results. So THANKS! I'll have to try this.

Candace said...

Kari, THANK YOU! I made this bread recipe, and it turned out to be the best bread I've ever made - the new family favorite. Matt says I've painted myself into a corner because everyone liked it so much that I'll have to make it all the time ;D Thanks again.