Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pesto for Pasta



My kids tonight looked at the noodles and said, "Ewww....what's that green stuff?" But guess what! They tasted it and actually liked it! I decided try something a little different tonight so here is the recipe. I again used my favorite beat up cook book that is now 10 years old and falling apart--Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook well new in 2001! So here is the pesto recipe:

1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup firmly packed fresh parsley sprigs with stems removed or torn fresh spinach (I used both tonight)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts, walnuts, or almonds (I used pine nuts tonight)
1 large clove garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil or cooking oil (I used EVOO)

12 oz. dried fettuccine or spaghetti (I used penne noodles tonight)

1. For pesto, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine basil, parsley, Parmesan cheese, nuts, garlic, and salt. cover and blend or process with several on-off turns till a paste forms, stopping the machine several times and scraping the sides.

2. With the machine running slowly, gradually add oil adn blend or process to the consistency of soft butter.

3. Cook noodles till they are tender but firm. Drain well. Return noodles to pan. Toss pesto with noodles and serve immediately.

Note:If you're not serving the pesto immediately, divide it into 3 portions of about 1/4 cup each. Place each portion in a small airtight container and refrigerate 1 to 2 days or freeze up to 3 months.

No comments: